Wednesday, June 14, 2017

THE CHRISTIANS - Edited by CALVIN DEMMON





My father, Calvin Demmon, was an editor on a devoted team to get this book, THE CHRISTIANS published. I usually summarize this book series as the TIME/LIFE books on the history of Christianity. That's a fib, because these are not TIME/LIFE, yet I tell the fib, because it is simpler that way. People get it quicker and we can move on. I mean no harm. TIME/LIFE books just got a mad free plug in my blog so shit balances out.

It isn't just the dogma, these books are a study in people who are doing their goddamndest to do what they believe is the right thing. Such is the ground-level history of Christianity that is explored in THE CHRISTIANS. They aren't page turners, you know, because they are more or less, historic reference books (unless of course, that's your thing). They ARE cool to have on the shelf, because they look great.

My father really, really invested himself in this series. He loved the history of it. He was interested in what the world was like during the specific eras that he was editing. He was engaged. I got to see the old man's process. Or at least, hear about it and later see the results of what he was talking about. It is my last true literary connection to him. He's been gone for a decade now and I ponder. I ponder who my old man was, and how he was such a fan of the old world. As far as I can tell, his brand of Christianity was as true as it ever was going to be.

Also, Calvin Demmon was no slouch in his duties as a clergyman. He interacted well with deeply religious types. I sure could use his advice now. The guy I have been editing for, Father Martin, is a real piece of work. I'm not going to get into it in this post, but I sure could use my old man's advice. Things are NOT OK between Father Martin and myself.   

Now, years after my father's death, and the collapse of my faith, I find myself editing of  THE LOST BOOK OF KING OG  for its release in North American book form. The book I have edited is an ancient document with a timeline that converges with Moses' entrance into the Promised Land in the Bible. In the Bible, Moses has to go toe to toe with King Og, and King Og is killed. Perhaps that is why THE LOST BOOK OF KING OG is only seven chapters long.

However, the all out Baal worship, Giant consumption of human flesh, and the use of verses that the architects of the Bible outright plagiarized has made my time preparing THE LOST BOOK OF KING OG for publication worthwhile. I feel a similar satisfaction that my father must have felt when he signed off on THE CHRISTIANS.

And what a strange literary space I find myself in. I am staring my old man down in a way. I feel that he would have the answers to a series of questions that I have about the spirit realm. But I digress. What I am trying to say is that I think THE LOST BOOK OF KING OG would have really, really interested him.





 In Darkness,

DEMMON