Monday, July 28, 2014

BACK FROM THE DEAD


My friend Sean came out to visit the other day. It was an impromptu visit for the most part. Sean is one of those guys that exists out of my blast radius, but everytime I hear from him, he brings nothing but good will to the table.

We hung out and talked our old teaching days. We were both in an English Department that was cutthroat. In fact, talking to my old fellow-pedagogue brought up an incredible number of old pleasant and painful memories.

We hadn't seen each other in 14 years, and we picked it right back up.‎ Why am I bothering to write this down? Because we have both overcome our demons. Sean is happily married in Texas, with a daughter, and he's on top of the world. 

I took him up to UCSC and showed him the sights. The above pic is part of that session.

It was good to talk to an old friend face to face and to find him to be in the same spiritual space that I find myself in. I just have to find a way to move that motherfucker out of the south. 


-Peter