Saturday, March 29, 2008

In passing


I overhear stuff all the time. Snippets of conversations that are just too much. The TRU post is the beginnings of this, but I really need to do something with all of this stuff.


Back when I was playing Vice City and I would hear these snippets of conversation with the passers-by, I thought it was a little extreme. It has been in the back of my head to write these things down. I thing I am just going to start throwing them in here whenever they stick out...they are too good.


I get a lot of them because I hoof downtown Santa Cruz every day at lunch. It is sense with tourists, locals and the homeless.


Here are a few:


Last week, there were these two high school girls yelling at this homeless man. This was the exchange:


Girl: That joke wasn't funny.

Homeless man: You weren't listening.

Girl: I didn't have to listen, because it wasn't funny.



Yesterday morning and I made an unscheduled walk to Starbucks there was an 80s Chrysler Key car parked in handicapped. It was filthy, and there was all kinds of crap piled on the dashboard and from what I could tell, on the passenger seat and all over the back bench. A bearded, dirty man was hanging out of the window talking to an overweight, potentially homeless woman on the sidewalk. His voice was high and raspy...like he had smoked a pack of cigarettes after letting the helium wear off. Here is what he said:


"They have your name at the bank, dummy."


I suppose I can finish this post with the classic one that actually got me thinking about this years ago. I don't know where I was or what I was doing there, but I was with Casson, and we both heard it. This guy was talking into his phone and he said this:


"Do me a favor? Listen when I talk to you." It wasn't so much the words, but the intonation. It was as if he was talking to someone either really old or really young. But the fact of the matter is that he could have been talking to anyone.