Saturday, June 30, 2007

SUMMER IS HERE: Latest round of updates

I have been out of the blogging loop for about a month now. This means that I have been busy. I started a blog a few weeks ago about the IPHONE, but it just didn't feel good. I did wait in line with Matt for several hours so he could be the first person in the entire city of Marina to have one of those things...and other than that, it has been GO GO GO. Enclosed are pics and comments. Lots of both.

Danger, one in the chamber! When I get a minute, I will post about all of the lousy movies I have seen this summer and how I am holding out for the BOURNE ULTIMATUM to save us all.


Big smile and a beautiful girl in the line for the BIG DIPPER. She still gets on there about once a week. Who wouldn't? I sat beside my father last week and told him how I am trying to imprint something into these kids by having these Boardwalk excursions on the regular. He told me that he had implants in his brain from when his father used to take him to the LONG BEACH PIKE as a kid. He said that there were tattooed sailors and grubby folk all around. Well, it is the same at the Boardwalk. I was walking Ivan to the bathroom a little over a week ago at about 10 PM. There was a total melee going on in front of us. Cops had people pinned to the ground and there was a lot of screaming and profanity. When we got into the bathroom and were doing our urinal business, I asked him what he thought of the mayhem out front. He had no idea what I was talking about. He was just content to go and take a piss with his father. I'll never forget that one.



There is the boy in question, in his own little world, through the screen door in the driveway sucking on a juice bar. It is summertime, and he is living it up.


Here is the same boy in question, next to me on the Giant Dipper. He has a vicious scream that shreds your eardrums and he lets it loose when we ride this ride. He hardly even opens his mouth to let it go. We were in the front a week or so ago and Ivan started to scream like this when we were in the beginning tunnel. Some loudmouthed grouch way back (possibly 5 seats or so) started yelling that the screaming needed to stop or he was going to blankety blank someone's blankety blank. I asked Ivan to stop. Ivan threw out one more ear-ripping scream before stopping it for the guy in the back.

He and I both knew we were dealing with a serious asshole.


I saw this Morgan on the side of the road a few weeks ago and snapped its pick. I was helping the SS load up the back of her car with an art table. I mentioned the Morgan. I told the story about how my father had taken one apart and put it back together again, and how he had always wondered when the thing would fly apart on him as a result of his tinkering. I also told her about the wreck we had been in, and how the truck had driven over my mother's back when she was pregnant with Casson. I made mention of the fact that if I had been in a standard car seat rather than playing at my mother's feet I would have been killed.

All of these adventures happened in my father's Morgan. I know he loved that car. But as I look at this pic and I think about it, I am beginning to wonder if maybe that car in the pic isn't a Morgan, and all of this nostalgia is ill-placed.

WTVR. I shot the pic with my heart in the right place...



This is the interior of the Maya theatre in Downtown Salinas. It looks like a convention center. Matt, Gabby, Brian (of Bromwyn fame), Luther and I were there for the Transformers. It was July the 4th. We had a little wait. Luther went and WRECKED SHOP on the DDR. He practices at home nonstop, then he goes to the arcade and slays them all. The movie was alright. I will post on it later.



This is what I have been up to at night. A big piece of meat and some veggies. I'm cooking chickens and roasts and pork chops. I have some sossies too, so I have been cooking them in red wine and tossing linguine with them as well. Lotsa salad. The thing though, the thing that I have been doing a lot of is carrots. I have a mini-carrot addiction. I eat them by the fistful. I can't help myself. I go through a 5lb bag in a few days.

The other day I ate 2 pounds of mini-carrots in one sitting. I need to get over this.



Check this fool out. He is always parked in downtown Santa Cruz in the same lot. On the side it says "No Queers Inside." He has since painted over this. Notice all of the padlocks. The engine compartment, the back lift. Those are the ones you can see in the pic, but combo locks are all over this thing. It makes me sorta miss Ferdie. But then again, I don't. Ferdie was great, but as I told Luther the other night, the only way I would get back into another VW Westfalia is if it was my second vehicle and I didn't have to be worried about being stranded for no apparent reason at any given time.

I miss her, but damn, Hector Savvy is nice. It is refreshing to have strangers tell me that I have a cool car on a daily basis. I have been getting dirty looks for my vehicle for too long...it is time for some respect, yo.




At the Boardwalk, there are these gondolas that go across the strip. I take it whenever possible. Some day I am going across with a fistful of rings from the merry-go-round so that I can drop them on the rooftops below. People have been doing that for what looks like years. There are rings all over the rooftops underneath you. I need to make my mark on the deep-fried Twinkie stand, methinks.



The Ferris Wheel. I try to ride this thing once every few weeks. It is faced wrong. It should be looking out over the water. Upshot? I always look to see where I am parked from the tippy-top. Furthermore, Yz always tells me not to rock the thing. "Like this?" I always ask.



This sign pisses me off. It is at work in the kitchenette. I was telling Luther about this thing yesterday. All paper products go in the recycling bin. Because some asshat wants to tell me no, and call me "dude" at the same time really frosts me. Next time I am at work, i am putting this sign in the recycling bin. That'll show 'em.


Here is a reflection of me with Fontina on my shoulder during her nightly interaction time. She is pretty tame these days. I let her out in the morning to free-run around the house. I let her out for about 30 minutes. I leave her cage open and sometimes she goes back in to see what she has been missing (usually a chocolate chip). I can call to her with my call that sounds like this: Fssssss-Fssst! And she comes bounding over. Sometimes she doubles back, but more often than naught, she wants to know what kind of mystery cheese I have to proffer.




So the night before IPHONE RELEASE NIGHT Matt called me with an urgency in his voice. He needed a warm body. My body was warm, and usable for his purposes. I agreed.


On IPHONE RELEASE NIGHT DAY, he swooped up the hill to my office and picked me up in the pimp mobile. We drove to Del Monte Shopping Center. We got to the back of the line at the Cingular Store and proceeded to wait for four hours for Matt to get his hands on two new Iphones.

The line was 46 people deep when we got there.

What the hell is up with America and this event shopping that we do? The only lines I do are movie lines. That is the only way I am going to wait for multiple hours for something that is a blip on the pop culture map. I put in 8 hours in front of the Egyptian in LA when I was a kid to see THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. I have since waited in line and cut work on all the recent Star Wars movies. Furthermore, I have pulled Luther out of school on those days as well (die in a fire, Mr. Schipper).



But I found myself backing Matt up in an event shopping line on IPHONE RELEASE EVENING in order to get his GF her phone.


Cingular was handing out the phones to warm bodies. It didn't matter if you had eight people on your phonebill; all eight had to suffer through the line.

Back when I was a kid and waiting in that line for the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, I was a dork. I had press release pictures of Star Wars info with me. I had the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK paperback novel with me and I am sure I had some Topp's Star Wars cards on my person as well. I wanted that Star Wars thing to be my identity in some way. I wanted people to look at me and know that I was down for the Wars, man.

That same sort of lame, childish energy was in the air on IPHONE RELEASE NIGHT. There were all of these people in the line-up who wanted all around them to know that they were into technology. That they were cutting edge. That they were the people who were the chosen by some higher force to be the first round of IPHONE owners. It was laptop central. Blackberries were being used and held in ways that made them visible and presentable. Cellphones that I have never seen before were wired into headphones, people had those bluetooth jobs in their ears and digital pictures were being taken by electronic gizmos of all sorts.


I was totally rogue in their little cult however. I am a Verizon customer. I have also bucked the Ipod trend by going through about five flash-drive Mp3 players. I am typing this blog on a PC. I don't buy into Apple period. The only Apple association that I have to suffer is the fact that the movies I make on my phone are Quicktime. Apple isn't the future for me, unless my hand is forced. The only forcing of my hand that I see is more corporations getting into bed with them. The kind of bed-hopping that we see with Disney, naked and willing pulling up the sheets with Sony's Blu-Ray.

These people were dorks. Here is the thing though: I am a dork. I am a total dork and I know this. You should see my new Star Wars t-shirt with the Japanese (?) script all over it. DORKY AS FOK. So if I am in a line-up with a bunch of people that I can cite as dorks, then I hope that the image is clear for you. Matt and I were the coolest people in the line-up. Matt was wearing a beanie and his standard lip piercing which looks sort of like a piece of barbed wire that has been sharpened at two ends. I was sporting my typical week-old beard and a freshly shaven head. I do this, "beard, shaved head" thing because someday when I am really bored, I am going to take a picture of my head upside-down and figure out how to make my facial features respond and look like one of those upside-down faces that you used to see in coloring books and the like when you were a kid.









"Is that a '65 or '66?" - Some kid in the parking garage the other day.

"That's a nice ride." - Some kid at the Mystery Spot today.

*Thumbs up* - From another classic Mustang driver today.

My conclusion? Hector is teh SEX.





Boardwalk at night.

IJ rolling solo on the Dipper.

OMG. Why the hell have I posted this pic? My daughter is the rocker, and that is another view of IJ rolling solo.

Luther and I have been playing a lot of Bloody Roar 3/X-men Mutant Academy and Soul Calibur 3. I have QCF the blister to prove it. I took this pic in DC, but the thumb is still hella sore. Taki and Cervantes are neck in neck right now. Last night, Luther started up with a few new moves that had me scratching my head. My dread pirate needs to be more agressive and I need to find some frame data so that I can at least keep up with his slutty ninja he keeps on bringing to the table.

L-Dogg, mean-mugging it with the old man. Notice the +1 :mad: shirt courtesy of Andrew. I have taken the +1 :mad: thing to the next level at TZ (a video game site that I am notorious for posting at), and Andrew hooked up the shirt as soon as it was made available.
The Mystery Spot today with the L-Dogg. The bald man in front has a long-assed goatee that is dyed blonde in the center. Both he and I were picked on regularly by our host at the 3:06 tour.
We had to wait around for an hour and a half before we could go on our tour. I showed Luther a buncha movies and clips I have ripped to my cellphone. He in turn told me more crazy details about the World of Warcraft, which is where he has spent the bulk of his summer.
Shortest on the left, tallest on the right. Look at the jacked up building behind them. No wonder this whole Mystery Spot place makes no sense.
Now, tallest on the left and shortest on the right. The fact that they are standing on a sloped board and that there is a crooked building behind them is supposed to make us all wonder how the tall guy on the left now looks short. There is that goatee I was telling you about.
"When I highlight my hair, it is because I like some strands more than others." - Mitch Hedberg.

I still have no idea what Shannon, our guide was trying to prove here and I am still befuddled.


Matt, Gabby, Luther and I went to see Harry Potter at the drive-in. Fok Harry Potter. I will get into that more in my next post.
Me outside getting ready for a conference call. Notice home-phone in left hand. Cellie in the right. I was trying to be all artistic and chit taking this pic, but it just wound out making me look like a fat bastard.


Luther and I on a different Dipper run. The boy had fun, and what boy shouldn't? I am glad I was able to bring it to him. I got the lady directly in front of me laughing hysterically with my screaming antics. One can never ride the Giant Dipper too many times.